Every year, National Technology Day is observed on May 11th to recognise the achievements and outstanding contributions of scientists and engineers in the science and technology field. The first National Technology Day in India was observed on May 11, 1998, to commemorate the Pokhran Nuclear Tests held at the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan. The day holds great importance because India joins the elite group of countries with nuclear weapons. The Technology Development Board (TDB) under the Department of Science and Technology is vested with the responsibility to organise a large-scale event to celebrate National Technology Day on May 11th. Here, we have added valuable information for students regarding the National Technology Day theme and history.
National Technology Day History
The history of National Technology Day takes us back to India’s first nuclear bomb test in Pokhran 1974, code-named “Smiling Buddha.” In 1998, India carried out the second instance of nuclear testing at the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan from May 11 to 13 with a code name “Operation Shakti.” The series of nuclear tests under Pokhran-II was led by Missile Man of India, APJ Abdul Kalam.
India also tested its first indigenously built two-seater aircraft Hansa-3 designed by the National Aerospace Laboratory in Bengaluru. On this day, the country also added a short-range missile (Trishul) to its armour designed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). To commemorate the country’s technological advancements, the then Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee declared May 11 as the National Technology Day.
National Technology Day Theme
- National Technology Day 2021 Theme – “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”
- National Technology Day 2020 Theme – “Rebooting the Economy through Science, Technology and Research Translations titled (RESTART)”
- National Technology Day 2019 Theme – “Science for People and People for Science”
- National Technology Day 2018 Theme – “Commercializing indigenous Technologies: Journey from Benchside to Business”
- National Technology Day 2017 Theme – “Technology for inclusive and sustainable growth”
National Technology Day Quotes
- We have listed some of the quotes related to the importance of science and technology.
- “It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity” – Albert Einstein
- “I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them” – Isaac Asimov
- “Our technology forces us to live mythically” – Marshall McLuhan
- “We have to stop optimizing for programmers and start optimizing for users.” – Jeff Atwood
- “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” – Arthur C. Clarke
- “Technology is anything that wasn’t around when you were born” – Alan Kay